What is mold and should I be concerned about molds in my home?
Molds are everywhere and can grow easily indoors when a moisture source is present. There is no scientific evidence linking residential exposure with mold to specific toxic effects, however people who suffer from allergies may be more sensitive to mold in the air. Other susceptible populations include: elderly, young children, people with compromised immune systems, or individuals with existing respiratory conditions. If you are experiencing adverse health symptoms, it is important to see a physician for a proper evaluation and diagnosis.
How can I minimize my exposure to mold?
Mold can be cleaned by removing the mold source and scrubbing the area with a bleach solution and allowing it to air dry. It is virtually impossible to remove all source of mold from your home (nor is it necessary), but effective measures can be taken to prevent excessive mold growth.
● Address moisture or water problems
● A dehumidifier and/or air conditioner should be used to reduce indoor moisture levels during humid times of the year.
● Fix leaks or plumbing problems promptly
● Ensure your home has ventilation fans in the bathroom and kitchen. Run bathroom fans for 20 minutes after showering
● Do not carpet bathrooms
● Repair cracks in basement walls