Abuse and Neglect

 Are you or someone you know…

     ●  Being threatened, hit or touched without your permission?

       Not receiving adequate food, shelter, clothing, medical or dental care?

      Experiencing financial problems because money is being taken without permission?

By reporting cases of abuse, you’ll access the assistance of professionals who are sensitive to the needs of people who are elderly, physically or developmentally disabled. 

Reporting Abuse

       By law your identity is kept confidential.
 Call the Aging and Disability Resource Center of Trempealeau County Monday through Friday        8:00 am to 4:30 pm at 1-800-273-2001 or 715-538-2001; evenings and weekends call the Trempealeau County Sheriff’s Department at 715-538-4351.
   A staff member will listen to your concerns.
   An Adult Protective Services worker will assess the situation and offer options. If the person accepts help, he or she is linked to services.
   Remember, a competent adult has the right to decline assistance.
   If alleged abuse is confirmed, appropriate legal action is pursued.

 How You Can Help


     ●   Maintain close ties with impaired friends, neighbors and relatives.
   Examine closely your ability to provide long-term, in-home care; explore alternative sources of care.
        Ask for sources of help and use them.
   Recognize that many forms of abuse and mistreatments are crimes.
   Contact Adult Protective Services if you suspect adult abuse in your family or community.


     ●   Offer personal home care unless you thoroughly understand and can meet the demands, responsibilities and costs involved.
        Ignore your limitations and over extend yourself when caring for an impaired adult.
   Hamper the impaired adult’s independence or intrude unnecessarily on the impaired adult’s privacy.
   Ignore signs of abuse in the community because you aren't related to the suspected victim.
   Neglect reporting suspected abuse for fear of financial or legal responsibility.

If you or someone you know is living in one of these abusive situations, PLEASE CALL:

Emergency/Immediate Danger 911
Trempealeau County Sheriff's Office (715) 538-4351 (after hours)
Aging & Disability Resource Center
Office open Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1-800-273-2001 or (715) 538-2001
New Horizons Outreach Office
18519 Blair Street
Whitehall, WI 54773
24 hour crisis line 1-800-706-8586 or (715) 538-2810

 Abuse Resources

     ●National Center on Elder Abuse

     ●National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
            608-255-0539     Email: ncall@wcadv.org     Web: http://www.ncall.us    

     ●National Domestic Violence Hotline
           Anonymous and confidential help 24 hours a day, seven days a week
           1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

     ●Wisconsin Bureau of Aging and Disability Resources
           For information on abuse - 608-266-2536

     ● Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault
            608-257-1516 or TTY 608-257-2537
            Email: wcasa@wcasa.org     Web: http://www.wcasa.org

 Additional Information

     ● Nursing Home Abuse